• Donate to keep our site running in the future. For more information, click here
  • The Media Staff Team is recruiting and our applications are open! Check this thread for more details!
  • MarioKartBoards Media Outlets: YouTube // Twitch // 2nd Twitch // Twitter

create transaction logs for player transfers in leagues (or make them public)

THEKRUSTYKRAB

Media Staff
Team
THEKRUSTYKRAB
NNID
THEKRUSTYKRAB
Switch
THEKRUSTYKRAB
Wiimmfi
THEKRUSTYKRAB
this is being posted in this section because it applies to every league, mkps, ctl, you name it. it's extremely jarring that not a single league maintains a player transaction log in mkw, as i feel it's extremely important to uphold transparency. just look at mk8d, they have an entire section on their registry dedicated to player transactions, i'm not asking for a registry system like that but at least some thread or spreadsheet that has player transactions.

to recap on how player transfers work, once a player has approval by another team to transfer to their team for a league, it goes through the registry admins who actually make the necessary change on the registry to show the player under the team for whatever league. when this transfer is processed, the original transfer thread (or discord message nowadays) gets deleted, because that's a required component to complete the transfer from what i've been told. while deleting the original proof is already questionable enough, i'm not here to talk argue about that if it's a necessary part of the process. and i wouldn't really mind it if there was just an easy way to check player transfers, such as a transaction log. just because a player is on one team in the registry currently at this point in time does not cut it, an accountant isn't gonna check the balance sheet alone for cash flows. furthermore, a player could've been on a different team on the registry a week ago, which inevitably will lead to questions and concerns over these players.
to use a recent ctl transfer as an example, thunder transferred from sop to retain last week, the transfer was approved, and he's under retain on the registry now. thunder previously played three ctl matches for sop before the transfer, in which he was under sop on the registry at the time. problem is, how is anyone outside of the involved parties or people glued onto ctl discord server before the transfer message gets deleted supposed to know that? many of them will have questions and concerns over the transfer itself, like "why is he with rn, wasnt he playing with sop", and having a transaction log will just fulfill those concerns a lot more quickly as opposed to being told simply "he transferred to rn" by someone, which really isn't very fulfilling of an answer.

a transaction log also isn't too difficult to implement either, as an mkb thread alone could suffice as one, although a spreadsheet is just as viable too, and could compound with the current mkb registry. the most important parts of a transfer for a single league include:
DATE | PLAYER | OUT > IN
all of which can be shown concisely. if a master transaction log is used, to show transactions for all leagues, then indicate the league as well. to use an example, if GUEST transferred from TEAM1 to TEAM2 for MKPS, and the transfer was processed Jan 18 2021, then all that needs to be shown is:
Jan/18/2021 | GUEST | MKPS | TEAM1 > TEAM2
this way, players can see what transfers were made before or during the season, who transferred to what, and overall, it will more easily clear up a lot of confusion and concerns over why some players are playing for another team.

last and very underrated thing to note is how it influences the culture that surrounds how players are talked about in a similar way to sports athletes, and how teams are to franchises. for many people, they heavily enjoy having this kind of culture in mkw, which makes talking about the game and the league more enjoyable for them, and with making player transaction logs public, they can more easily produce meaningful discussions about these transfers, in a similar vein to how people talked about kawhi going from raptors to clippers, or currently how harden is doing in the nets after being in the rockets for so long.

tldr: what i'd personally like to see are player transaction logs for each individual league such as mkps and ctl. mk8d already has this system and i don't see why we shouldn't try to be more transparent with our playerbase. it's not hard to implement, clears up many concerns and allows for more substantive discussions on mkw.

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Truth is stranger than fiction
Supporter
Team
UHDR7T7 - Maidvelia Serial Number
WCL, MKCL, IL, SCL, and CSL/WL Pre-Season + Season 1 all had this. It was scrapped when CSL/WL switched to spreadsheets due to spreadsheet revision history being a thing. Since then, all leagues following it have not had transaction logs.

Here is how we used to format the transaction logs (Wiimmfi Forumotion forum - CSL PS + S1):

(for direct team transfers instead of "registered with" it said "transferred to" instead; only free agents had "registered with")

However, I understand how revision history is not exactly the most transparent way of presenting that information and would fully support leagues returning to having transaction logging in their registry systems. When I saw MKC's registry system have transaction logs, I felt like we should return to having them. It also just looks way more official and it's easier for players to get their full competitive history when it's included.

Last edited: