• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

EL Cup proposal

Format of cup? (all randomly generated)

• Total voters
Team
Equivoke
[JUSTIFY]Aight, this might end up being a fantastic idea or just a straight garbage one, soo lets see how this goes. You can skip the first paragraph or so by the way, that's just a introduction to it, tl;dr at the bottom. I know EL is still going on right now, playoffs soon :tm: but just an idea so we can be ready in advanced. This might collide with WL but we'll see how their structure looks once published, if it gets good feedback, we will potentially go through with this a few weeks or so after EL finishes.[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Basically for a while now, maybe ever since I was with WL, I've always wanted to have an off-season type of cup happening, maybe it can be possible right now with EL! Here's my idea: Do any of you guys watch Premier League Football? (soccer lul) Basically that's obviously a league but it has its own cups during the season. I'd like to hopefully implement that type of cup in to the off-season, e.g FA Cup / Carabao Cup or whatever it's called now! If you guys don't know how it works since you don't watch it, basically teams are randomised throughout the 4 divisions in English Football. So this means you could potentially get a Premier League team (tier 1) against a League Two team (tier 4), the amount of matches being randomly generated have different situations of course, like I said above it could be tier 1 vs tier 4, tier 1 vs tier 1, tier 1 vs tier 2, and so on. You all should know how randomising works lul.[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]
fa.png
[/JUSTIFY]

el.png

[JUSTIFY]It's also kinda like how the FFA Tourneys were back on MKB, how can I implement this towards MKWii? Well it's literally like I explained above, lets say we get 25 or so teams playing. We'd randomly generate all teams put into their respective matches so an example of this would be, WollywogZ vs Resurrection. That's one generated match, I know.. it's unfair on Resurrection having to face a team that's D1 so we'll probably introduce a losers bracket for this, but imagine watching the draw take place on a media staff stream or whoever will be doing it, waiting for your clan's name to pop up, and the tension building up waiting to see who you will get. As you can see some teams have a bye, obviously this can occur if we don't have an equal amount of teams but everything will be randomly generated and on stream. Also normally in Football, a tier 4 team would be dreaming of getting a tier 1 team since it's a rare experience for them but obviously we know it's a different in MKWii where lower teams would rather not face tier 1 teams, so that's potentially why we could see a losers bracket! I know it sounds pretty bad at first, but think about it, the tension of seeing your team get picked out of the draw and then you could potentially have a favourable match or a non-favourable match. The structure would obviously be knock out, the stages would be dependent on how many teams we get so lets say if we get maximum amount of teams, it would be 3rd stage, 4th stage, 5th stage then Quarters, Semis and finally Finals (with a losers bracket but it highly depends on if you guys want that). The amount of weeks this would take is still to be decided, however I feel we can finish this within 3-6 weeks. The stages matches will be played in consecutive weeks, we probably will be allowing reschedules but won't let it overlap towards the next week due to progress needing to be done, we all witnessed how unorganised matches or playoffs are made from last season of WL (still current due to some playoffs lul) So, we will have fixed schedules that should not be overlapped.[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]I feel due to the success of ITL Season 1 and maybe Season 2, it showed that Cups are a really good way of getting clans engaged and have more intense matches because obviously in leagues, in my opinion it's not as stressful since you have like 10 or so matches to catch up to first. Cups are probably the meta now and some people might be getting bored of playing leagues, so why not try something different for a change during off season? Rewards might not be appealing but you'll probably get a banner or whatever, some people love their banners and it is a test cup so we'll see how it goes. Since it is a cup and we would only get one winner, I might ask moderators or admins to see if we can get those medals next to the player's profile name just like we had on the old site as well as a banner. Second and Third place would probably get banners.[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Structure/Layout/tl;dr[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]- Randomly generated matches: could mean D1 team faces D4. Favourable draws are exciting to get while unfavourable draws could mean we have a losers bracket. The draw hopefully will be on stream[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]- Losers bracket is likely to happen due to this so everyone gets a fair chance, especially teams who get the harder draws[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]- Imagine seeing your clan's name pop out of the draw during the stream and the tension rising to see who you will face[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]- It would be 3rd stage(1st round), 4th stage (2nd round), 5th stage (3rd round) then Quarters, Semis and finally Finals. All dependent on how many teams we get[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]- This is a test cup so obviously it depends on the feedback you guys give if we go through with this[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]There's so much potential for this to be discussed, hopefully you guys all like it! I really feel a cup format would increase the excitement of EL as well as allowing to compete with WL even more. Competition is good for both leagues and allows them to improve from it.[/JUSTIFY]

Nick.

EL Staff
Media Staff
Team
[¢β] / SY
Wiimmfi
1981-6864-5239
First of all, I actually fucking love this idea. As a soccer/football player fan my whole life, I've always loved these tournaments, and I think they transition very well to Mario Kart. A lot of times in soccer, you will see lower seeded teams take a 1-0 lead off a bad ref call or a pk or something, and the better team pounds them the rest of the game with shots on target, crossbar hits, etc but they just can never score, and the weaker team steals the victory, which is one of the many reasons people call soccer a cruel game. This similarly happens in mkw. If you let a weaker team hang around for too long, the RNG could shift in their favor and they maybe get a top 4. Then the stronger team might start to tilt a little and complain a little more, arguing with teammates, and start feeling the pressure of being potentially knocked out by an inferior team (also maybe on stream). This could result in an extremely dramatic cup with several Cinderella stories (such as Av in ITL cup 1) and intense matches early on in the bracket resulting in one top team being sent home early bc they pulled another top team in like the second round. If this cup had proper media coverage/an easy to follow discord server making it accessible for spectators to see all the matches, when they're being played, and maybe streams for all of them, this could be the biggest tournament MKW has seen in years.

Another reason I love this idea is that something like this has never been done before (even ITL with its cup format), and that idea is allowing every interested MKW team to sign up for the same tournament competing for the same prize. Throughout every iteration of an mkw league, teams have been separated into similarly skilled divisions. This means that teams at a D3 level can still win a banner and call themselves "WL Champions" even tho in reality, they're like the 15th best team in the league. A tournament that is accessible to every team that wants to sign up, and putting every team on an equal playing field to determine the unequivocal, best team in the game at the time, would be extremely hype and fun for all levels. We could actually have a definitive "best team in the game" as opposed to "WL Season 13 Division 7 Champions." There could be fantasy brackets, predictions, and just like March Madness, there will be upsets, clutch plays, and awesome highlights. Having every team be able to sign up could also entice some of the veteran top teams who don't play anymore to want to come back if this generates enough hype. I'm not sure if what I'm saying is making sense, but I feel like this has incredible potential.

If you wanted to take it even further, EL cup could help determine seedings for the EL league, allowing the matches to be even more meaningful and have more implications than just making it further in the tournament. i.e, if a d3 team beats a d1 team early, that is taken into account for next seasons seedings, almost like how college football in the U.S rewards unranked teams for beating ranked teams and moving them up in the rankings accordingly. I just can't stress enough that it needs to be properly organized. Streams need to be provided for all matches with specified start dates AHEAD OF TIME, along with an updated bracket (when each match is played, not a few days later), and chats in a discord server where results are posted AND people can discuss the matches during, before, and after, almost like a twitch chat or a reddit system.

Anyway, I would love to play in this and maybe help moderate bc I think this could be huge, and I'm super excited so I just wanted to share my thoughts. Amazing idea, keep it up, and definitely make it open to every team. Also, the top teams of each group/division currently should be the ones to get byes, and dont make it ctgp only, let everyone who wants to play.

Last edited:

Aditya~

EL Staff
Registry Staff
Media Staff
Team
λρocalypse, Regicide
Wiimmfi
0861-6009-1404
First of all, I actually fucking love this idea. As a soccer/football player fan my whole life, I've always loved these tournaments, and I think they transition very well to Mario Kart. A lot of times in soccer, you will see lower seeded teams take a 1-0 lead off a bad ref call or a pk or something, and the better team pounds them the rest of the game with shits on target, crossbar hits, etc but they just can never score, and the weaker team steals the victory, which is one of the many reasons people call soccer a cruel game. This similarly happens in mkw. If you let a weaker team hang around for too long, the RNG could shift in their favor and they maybe get a top 4. Then the stronger team might start to tilt a little and complain a little more, arguing with teammates, and start feeling the pressure of being potentially knocked out by an inferior team (also maybe on stream). This could result in an extremely dramatic cup with several Cinderella stories (such as Av in ITL cup 1) and intense matches early on in the bracket resulting in one top team being sent home early bc they pulled another top team in like the second round. If this cup had proper media coverage/an easy to follow discord server making it accessible for spectators to see all the matches, when they're being played, and maybe streams for all of them, this could be the biggest tournament MKW has seen in years.

Another reason I love this idea is that something like this has never been done before (even ITL with its cup format), and that idea is allowing every interested MKW team to sign up for the same tournament competing for the same prize. Throughout every iteration of an mkw league, teams have been separated into similarly skilled divisions. This means that teams at a D3 level can still win a banner and call themselves "WL Champions" even tho in reality, they're like the 15th best team in the league. A tournament that is accessible to every team that wants to sign up, and putting every team on an equal playing field to determine the unequivocal, best team in the game at the time, would be extremely hype and fun for all levels. We could actually have a definitive "best team in the game" as opposed to "WL Season 13 Division 7 Champions." There could be fantasy brackets, predictions, and just like March Madness, there will be upsets, clutch plays, and awesome highlights. Having every team be able to sign up could also entice some of the veteran top teams who don't play anymore to want to come back if this generates enough hype. I'm not sure if what I'm saying is making sense, but I feel like this has incredible potential.

If you wanted to take it even further, EL cup could help determine seedings for the EL league, allowing the matches to be even more meaningful and have more implications than just making it further in the tournament. i.e, if a d3 team beats a d1 team early, that is taken into account for next seasons seedings, almost like how college football in the U.S rewards unranked teams for beating ranked teams and moving them up in the rankings accordingly. I just can't stress enough that it needs to be properly organized. Streams need to be provided for all matches with specified start dates AHEAD OF TIME, along with an updated bracket (when each match is played, not a few days later), and chats in a discord server where results are posted AND people can discuss the matches during, before, and after, almost like a twitch chat or a reddit system.

Anyway, I would love to play in this and maybe help moderate bc I think this could be huge, and I'm super excited so I just wanted to share my thoughts. Amazing idea, keep it up, and definitely make it open to every team. Also, the top teams of each group/division currently should be the ones to get byes, and dont make it ctgp only, let everyone who wants to play.
thanks for all the valued feedback/thoughts! much appreciated, we'll try to implement as much of it as possible

elec

Team
k`s gays
Switch
imagine paying
Wiimmfi
3440-6281-9760
always wanted a standard single bracket tour for this game glad its finally seeing some light. i figured that whatever teams are considered the "best" get seeded in brackets far away from each other to put more competition in the later rounds so the earliest they can meet is in the semifinals or so, then have them pair up with whatever teams randomized to them. if im not mistaken this is exactly what tennis does when seeding brackets so the later rounds are expected to have higher level of competition.

Joeey

'Pudge'
EL Staff
Supporter
Team
ιητεrgαlαcτιc
Yes. Can we do this?

Also I like the idea of it directly affecting seedings ngl.

Also also Jazz you had enough teams there to do all r1 matches lol

OP
Jazz.
Team
Equivoke
Thread Starter #20
Loving the feedback so far!

A lot of times in soccer, you will see lower seeded teams take a 1-0 lead off a bad ref call or a pk or something, and the better team pounds them the rest of the game with shots on target, crossbar hits, etc but they just can never score, and the weaker team steals the victory, which is one of the many reasons people call soccer a cruel game.
Literally this, the one I remember the most is Bradford City in 2015 and their journey towards the FA Cup Quarter Finals. They beat the Premier League champions 4-2 in the fourth round tie, nobody expected it especially with the squad Chelsea bought out as well as them targeting the domestic treble. Unfortunately their run came to an end vs Reading but that was one of the biggest shocks in the modern era of Football in my opinion.

If I had to think of a recent one, then Manchester City vs Swansea would be something I can think of (obviously as a Liverpool fan :mad:) Due to a few bad ref calls, Manchester City got really fortunate that there was no VAR (video-assisted referee) as they would have had maybe two goals at most ruled out. Sadly Swansea lost due to this and Manchester City went on to win the domestic treble unlike Chelsea in 2015.

A tournament that is accessible to every team that wants to sign up, and putting every team on an equal playing field to determine the unequivocal, best team in the game at the time, would be extremely hype and fun for all levels. We could actually have a definitive "best team in the game" as opposed to "WL Season 13 Division 7 Champions." There could be fantasy brackets, predictions, and just like March Madness, there will be upsets, clutch plays, and awesome highlights.
Exactly, an even playing field allows everyone to have an equal chance at this, might think of a loser bracket too of course but that's highly dependent on what the community thinks of it.

If you wanted to take it even further, EL cup could help determine seedings for the EL league, allowing the matches to be even more meaningful and have more implications than just making it further in the tournament. i.e, if a d3 team beats a d1 team early, that is taken into account for next seasons seedings, almost like how college football in the U.S rewards unranked teams for beating ranked teams and moving them up in the rankings accordingly.
Agreed on this too, it shows so much potential on teams that aren't considered great or a dark horses to have close matches vs the top teams or even beat them, which again allows us to rank teams easier.

Streams need to be provided for all matches with specified start dates AHEAD OF TIME, along with an updated bracket (when each match is played, not a few days later), and chats in a discord server where results are posted AND people can discuss the matches during, before, and after, almost like a twitch chat or a reddit system.
That's what I'm hoping for, as long as I get good backing by the Media Staff on this, we can stream at least 4-6 matches every week of the schedule. The draw will probably be done by Stunky and Ryan, might sneakily jump into it myself :eyes:. I might make a few additional channels in the EL server for the updated matches/results and obviously a general discussion.

maybe help moderate bc I think this could be huge
I'll look into this, probably going to need the most help I can get!

Also, the top teams of each group/division currently should be the ones to get byes, and dont make it ctgp only, let everyone who wants to play.
As of right now, we are not CTGP only which is great in my opinion as it allows everyone to play. For the top teams, I am unsure on if we'll allow byes, HOWEVER, I plan on making maybe the top 4 teams separated from each other (SY, wZ, Daisy, ?) that way they'll probably play each other closer to the Quarter Finals, makes it more intense as well as it anticipates those matches a lot. I hopefully plan on avoiding byes so might need an even amount of teams playing but we'll see how it goes.

i figured that whatever teams are considered the "best" get seeded in brackets far away from each other to put more competition in the later rounds so the earliest they can meet is in the semifinals or so, then have them pair up with whatever teams randomized to them.
As stated above, I do plan on doing this as it obviously anticipates their matches more and it makes it more surprising and shocking if they lose to a team that is the underdog.

Random draw stream underrated.
Exactlyy bro, it just pumps up you and your team's adrenaline once your picked from the draw!

Also also Jazz you had enough teams there to do all r1 matches lol
Oops. :eyes:

I love how the EL council listens to what people have to say.
That's what we plan on doing!

Jazz coming up with this idea be like:
I'm a God. Where's my clout.

asked me how to save the image
Listen fam, the old site was easier to post images. Don't @ me.

have groups before the elimination stage
This was actually something I considered, however it does make it more of a league instead of a cup which is something we might do during the actual season instead, plus it might take a while to finish which collides with people playing WL too. I do see the potential of this a lot during Season 4 of EL or the 2nd Cup.