• Our next site-ran tournament, a Holiday 2v2 FFA for Mario Kart Wii, is now open for signups! Please see this thread for more information.

Hacker or Lags?

Garchomp

Hey everyone,

the last weeks I played much MK8D and have now 6k points online. What I recognized and really bothers me while playing so that the game really doesn't make any fun: Now that I have more points I often get in rooms where people with 30k+ or more are and besides the fact that they are in general unnaturally faster then you most of the time, you can just throw red shells onto them, they get hit and also the spinning animation but don't lose any momentum or speed, it's just annoying and frustrating. I googled this and found the answer that it should be lags. Maybe but really like every single player with 30k+ I already encountered (and I saw many) get's that "lag" every single time. They are just in front of you with a coin, you have a red shell and still no chance. Are they all really just hackers? That's so lame and annoying.

Mister Wu

That's really lag, you should check your internet connection first and foremost; anyway, just remember that what happens in your screen is not necessarily what happens in the others' games.
You might throw a red shell or green shell at someone, but in their game they are not where you see them in your game, so even if you see the collision in your game, it's not happening in theirs because they are in a completely different place.

OP
OP
Garchomp

Garchomp

It cannot be lag when it always occurs to single specific players which are ironically always exactly these players with a really high amount of points. My connection is good and I barely get any problems with it (and that also only because the Switch really has bad "ports" for Wlan, sorry I don't know in english. My other devices get like 3/3 Wlan bars and the Switch 2/3 or sometimes 1/3 at the same time at the same location...)

That's why I ask, if it would happen randomly (which it only sometimes does), I would accept the lag. Also I often read that Nintendo really hasn't good servers, maybe there is a way to abuse that?

Mister Wu

It cannot be lag when it always occurs to single specific players which are ironically always exactly these players with a really high amount of points. My connection is good and I barely get any problems with it (and that also only because the Switch really has bad "ports" for Wlan, sorry I don't know in english. My other devices get like 3/3 Wlan bars and the Switch 2/3 or sometimes 1/3 at the same time at the same location...)

That's why I ask, if it would happen randomly (which it only sometimes does), I would accept the lag. Also I often read that Nintendo really hasn't good servers, maybe there is a way to abuse that?
Actually, since the system is peer2peer, it's always specific players who lag, the race isn't handled by a central server, you're directly connected with the others, so if one has an awful connection, they lag. And lag helps in Mario Kart 8 a lot, so it might be one of the reasons why they end up with a lot of points, as well.