• Exalt is a Mario Kart Wii themed LAN Tournament to be hosted in New York, USA. Interested in coming along? Find out all the information here!
  • Donate to keep our site running in the future. For more information, click here

Improving CT Competition and Activity

Spade24

EL Staff
Media Staff
Supporter
Team
Multiverse
NNID
xSpade24
Wiimmfi
5243-7160-5304
If we do have a track list it should be limited to t1 that way they can learn the easier ones and play the extra ones on the side.

As I play in ct-t2 often, active silver players such as Lex, Stubbz, Zilla, etc know all 218 and have no problem, where as bronze players may not.

Melchior

Holy fuck please stop comparing a racing game to a fps game. They tried doing this in WL, it flopped. Why are we trying to do it again. Learn from other organized event's mistakes.
CSGO is a lot more complex of a game than mkw and requires a lot more knowledge of a map than a mkw track. If you know how to drive, you can stroll into CTs and have zero problems whatsoever. If you walk into a high level CSGO map and have a decent knowledge of the game you are going to get killed over and over again. This is not a good comparison please stop.
This massive advantage only happens when you mix good players with bad players. Take CT Tier 3 as an example. Everyone know what they're doing. They know how to drive. They know how to drive the tracks. Tracks only give a slight advantage if your skillset is more adept to that certain track. This same property goes for regs too. Certain players pick certain tracks because they are better at them than the rest. This is why I pick DK Summit in mogis. I can run it and consistently do well on it. There are races where I do bad. In a room in CT Tier 3 as an example, the problem would be no different than that of a regular track mogi.
The scenario you listed out is the exact same thing as in MKW, if you throw a decent player into a very high level room on RTs, they may have some pop-off moments, but generally they will not be able to compete consistently and will be well below average.

In fact, your example alone proves how much of a problem having all 218 CTs available causes in a competitive setting. Even on RTs there are people who have mastered certain tracks to a higher degree, but if you do not believe that MKW requires an unbelievable amount of track knowledge even on RTs then you clearly have never played at a high level. There are tons of intricacies that only top players know or are aware of during races that they can take advantage of them. This isn't even taking into account team strategies at higher levels...

If there is already a discrepancy in track knowledge for players track to track in RTs at the highest level after 12 years, how could you possibly try to argue that it's a good idea to throw in 186 more tracks? Especially in the context of players who are new to the game? Whether you want to admit it or not, this absolutely creates a track knowledge meta. I think it's clear to see that anyways considering only the absolute top CT players are actually decent/good at RTs too because their in game knowledge and understanding of the game doesn't relate strictly to CTs, whereas most "good" ct players are generally quite sub-par on RTs.

The problem at hand here is whether or not CT players want their community and competitive scene to actually grow or to forever be considered a side show where the majority of new players will play a couple times and never touch them again. Famous games like Quake have long since essentially died out except for their absolute hardcore player-base and no new players ever continue with the aFPS genre because the learning curve is far too steep. This is the exact same problem with CTs. Even Quake has good resources for newer players such as tutorials on advanced mechanics that are required to play the game. We don't even have that for RTs...

218 tracks is not good for competition, you can call it competitive, but competition simply means there are people willing to compete, which from what I've seen seems to be waning numbers when it comes to CTs,

Right now we are at a turning point where we have people who actually care about pushing the game into a bigger spotlight and unless CTs want to be left behind, CT players are going to have to leave behind their egos of being "on top" of such a minuscule section of the community and come to terms with the fact that a track knowledge meta causes too steep of a learning curve for the majority of the new players.

Fruitz

Aspiration
Supporter
sorry but, why? i personally think the last 3 ctwl formats were pretty good and they got better as the seasons went by
What Epix was moreso getting at (I believe) is that the top ct teams stopped playing due to all the unnecessary changes made to ctwl. Nowadays I look at ctwl threads and I don’t recognize half of the teams playing.

Trevor

Bro RTs is just "can you avoid getting hit and dodge the 50/50 shock" stop acting like it's so incredibly optimized just because everyone knows how to play the track, the meta is just worse for it. If you want to be better at CTs you have to be willing to put in the time to learning them, at this point honestly most CT players have a general idea of how to play every track so this "track meta" nonsense is like 2-3 years too late honestly. Skill gap is more of a difference on CTs instead of how RTs are dependent on how you can use your RANDOMIZED items

Supporter
Team
Succeed or Perish
I retract my statement on a tracklist being a good idea, but i still stand with there being a larger banlist to stop all the meme picks or the ‘im tilted’ picks

Tea

Administrator
Administrator
MKPS Staff
WL Staff
Media Staff
I don't think a tracklist should be warranted for FFA formats, only team formats

Bob

No clue how non CT players feel, but I would personally love a track list for tier 1 as an RT player. I've put very minimal effort into custom tracks (I used to play them every day in 2013 though) because it feels pointless to spend a lot of time learning one track when there's more than 200. Especially considering there's a chunk of tracks that require a lot of practice to get shortcuts down. If there was a track list it would be easier to get to know certain tracks and how they play, both time trial and online.

to be fair though, i'm also a bit tired of the game (can't be bothered to time trial much anymore) so maybe this is more of a dream than it's realistic for me :p Still that's better than 218 for me at least