• Staff apps are open! Interested? Read here for more information!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • Embrace The Change is a LAN tournament intending to be located in Cambridge, England. It will have a focus on MK8DX but also an MKWii setup. Interested? Find out more here!
  • Exalt is a Mario Kart Wii themed LAN Tournament to be hosted in New York, USA. Interested in coming along? Find out all the information here!
  • Lacuna is a pay to play tournament on Mario Kart Wii happening May 25th. Interested? Find out more here!

Karting Guide

Did I cover enough in this guide

• Total voters

Stamonn

Switch
2885-2009-8014
Wiimmfi
1251-5433-7173
Improvement for Karting: I was dumb founded on how many Kart Guides there were. I expected there to be much more. Although I don't expect mant people to red thus, I will cover the basics of Karting.

Controls
It does not matter which controller you plan on using. Any controller is fine. Spindrifting is not so effective in a kart. I'm a Nunchuck Main and I see Wii Wheel karters perform better than me.

Snaking
Snaking. One of the most crucial things to do in a kart. Snaking can make up for having no wheelie but it will never be faster. It is still quite useful even so. To start snaking, you have to start a drift in any direction and cancel it after about half a second (also called a counterhop), then do the same thing in the opposite direction but this time, hold it longer for mini-turbo. I highly suggest that you watch this snaking guide.

Mini Turbos
Mini-turbos are just as important to a kart as a wheelie is to a bike. MTs are so vital that a handful of tracks such as GBA BC3 can be finished with Dry Bowser faster than Funky Kong only because of Dry Bowser's high MT stat. In order to charge as many SMTs/MTs you soft drift which is possible with any controller including the Wii Wheel. To soft drift, move your analog stick/wheel at a 45 degree angle either left or right. You'll notice that your MT charges as fast as if you were at a 90 degree angle.​

Item Usage
Now into online performance. To have good item usage, you need to save your items. An example is a star. A star is useful for dodging a shock if you can predict when it's in play. If you try to chain, you might get mushrooms and they won't even be useful by the time that shock comes. Item usage is almost exactly the same in a bike but it's something that is maybe more important to a kart than the two categories I just listed which is why I needed to include it. I suggest you watch advanced karters. You're able to see their item usage and you'll start noticing how they use their items.

Tips

Advanced Snaking Areas by Bob

Custom Tracks

If you have a hard time on custom tracks it's most likely because you didn't take the time to learn tracks. Using the excuse that you shouldn't have to go back to learn the track is not acceptable. Even on some RTs I had to go back to learn a few strats. Take the time to learn everything. I managed to be an average karter on CTs and I've gotten used to it. In my opinion the challenge is quite fun.

Last edited:

Bob

In addition to this, here's a few more things that i guess could be useful. :p Honestly i have a million things i could say, but this is just some quick stuff before i head to bed cause KD just linked me this

- do delayed drifts. Troy has a vid on how to do it
- Be super cautious omg !!!
- Watch far ahead to see items coming or where they might show up.
- Watch out for the players in front of you. Stay off their line if you know they have an item since you can’t do a quick dodge like bikes do.
- Start turns wide so you can see traps in time. You can still take a tight line once you've seen the turn is clear.

Also watch out for bagging too early on certain courses. I've fell way too far behind on tracks like Desert Hills or Delfino Square one too many times.

players to watch:
Chikuten (the most important imo)
Niceday
Bob (Hhahh)
Astro Star (also really important)
Seboss NI vids (there is no playlist but you can find some ni races on his channel)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stamonn

Stamonn

Switch
2885-2009-8014
Wiimmfi
1251-5433-7173
In addition to this, here's a few more things that i guess could be useful. :p Honestly i have a million things i could say, but this is just some quick stuff before i head to bed cause KD just linked me this

- do delayed drifts. Troy has a vid on how to do it
- Be super cautious omg !!!
- Watch far ahead to see items coming or where they might show up.
- Watch out for the players in front of you. Stay off their line if you know they have an item since you can’t do a quick dodge like bikes do.
- Start turns wide so you can see traps in time. You can still take a tight line once you've seen the turn is clear.

Also watch out for bagging too early on certain courses. I've fell way too far behind on tracks like Desert Hills or Delfino Square one too many times.

players to watch:
Chikuten (the most important imo)
Niceday
Bob (Hhahh)
Astro Star (also really important)
Seboss NI vids (there is no playlist but you can find some ni races on his channel)
I'VE BEEN DOING INSTANT THE ENTIRE TIME! Yes but thx, I could cover alot more but I wanted to stick to basics.