• The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • There are a number of upcoming tournaments that may interest people, so click the links to find out more!
    Embrace The Change - Cambridge, UK - MK8DX/MKW - 6th July
    Exalt - New York, USA - MKW - 13th-14th July
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

LACUNA | MAY 25 | PAY TO PLAY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

zero

couple of things here seem like deterrents for signing up tbh

1. only the winner gets money? am i reading this right? so if somehow 300 ppl sign up, 1st place gets $450 and 2nd place gets... nothing? i don't think 300 is expected for this, but something more appropriate might be: 3rd-6th gets their $5 entry fee back, 2nd gets $20 (or whatever is appropriate for the number that signed up), and 1st gets whatever is left. this would also better preserve the competition in the final room... otherwise anyone with a bad gp1 or gp2 basically has no chance to win anything, so what motivation do they have to try?

2. peak mmr. i understand that this is to prevent ppl from purposely tanking and stomping a lower bracket, but this just shifts the unfairness onto players that briefly peaked in a higher bracket... i was in plat for like 5 min, yet i gotta go against all the master/diamond people? ya boy has no chance. this is made worse by #1 above as well... like maybe if the heavens shine down on me I can manage top 6, but there's no way im walking away 1st place. just doesn't make sense to sign up.

OP
OP
Savannah

Savannah

Thunder & Lightning
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
Explorers of Time
I am very happy with how the tournament ended up running. We didn't receive as many participants as I had hoped for, but in the end we still had a room of 12 players play for a prize and that in my book is considered a success. This tournament isn't what people are used to. The concept is new to the community, involving money is also very new, so people may have not been that open to it. I want to thank everyone for helping make this tournament happen. I always thought it'd be interesting to see how something like this would turn out, both in interest and execution. Hopefully, in the future, we can have another tournament with an even higher turnout!

I'll include receipts in the spoiler below to show the winners received their prizes.

If you guys would like to stay posted on when another tournament will happen, join the Discord server!

Additionally, I want to clear up one thing - I heard people thought that the casters lied about being able to cast. They were more than willing to, and made time to on the day, but I had hoped for a higher turnout - enough for me to be able to compensate them.. which unfortunately did not happen.

- - - - - - - - -

Also I know it's a late response but I wanted to reply to clear up any future deterrents:

1. only the winner gets money? am i reading this right? so if somehow 300 ppl sign up, 1st place gets $450 and 2nd place gets... nothing? i don't think 300 is expected for this, but something more appropriate might be: 3rd-6th gets their $5 entry fee back, 2nd gets $20 (or whatever is appropriate for the number that signed up), and 1st gets whatever is left. this would also better preserve the competition in the final room... otherwise anyone with a bad gp1 or gp2 basically has no chance to win anything, so what motivation do they have to try?
Top 3 per bracket was the plan. I think you may have missed that if you didn't join the Discord server to read the full ruleset.

2. peak mmr. i understand that this is to prevent ppl from purposely tanking and stomping a lower bracket, but this just shifts the unfairness onto players that briefly peaked in a higher bracket... i was in plat for like 5 min, yet i gotta go against all the master/diamond people? ya boy has no chance. this is made worse by #1 above as well... like maybe if the heavens shine down on me I can manage top 6, but there's no way im walking away 1st place. just doesn't make sense to sign up.
One other thing that the ruleset in the Discord server touches down on. Peak MMR was to be used as a guideline and initial placement, other factors such as WL performance and personal opinion would have been taken into account if necessary.