• Staff are currently aware of users being unable to register for the site; we are deeply sorry and working fast to help to fix it. Join the official MKB discord server here, make a support ticket, and provide your preferred email and username.
  • Donate to keep our site running in the future. For more information, click here
  • MarioKartBoards Media Outlets: YouTube // Twitch // 2nd Twitch // Twitter

Mario Kart Professional Series Is Here!

Wally

Former WL Staff
Mario Kart Professional Series (MKPS) - Integration With League Restructure
Written by Nick, Wally, Valence, Aditya, Tea, Chris, and Mystic

Throughout the past weeks, staff have been very busy discussing the future of clan wars and the competitive scene going into 2020. Significant progress has been made in the planning of Mario Kart Professional Series (MKPS); a circuit involving the major clan war hubs of today including Wiimmfi League (WL), Elite League (EL), and other side tourneys to be planned.

Participating in each of the above will grant teams Circuit Points (CP) - the better your team performs in each of the above, the more CP it will earn. The current plan is for winners of WL and EL (these are both being restructured; refer to the sections below) to automatically qualify for the MKPS Final Stage (official name TBD) and gain a first-round bye in this final tournament. The remaining 4-6 (number TBD) team slots will be allotted to the teams who have accumulated the most CP at the end of the circuit. If everything goes to plan, the MKPS Final Stage will involve a monetary prize fund.

This restructure solves the problems of stale double round robin formats for the past x seasons, gaining nothing but pride and a .png banner for the winning team, and introduces a breath of fresh air for the 2020 clan scene.

WL Restructure:
Note: All CP values shown in these restructure figures are placeholders; all values are subject to change.

WL will adopt a new structure in which it will behave similarly to the World Cup for football (soccer). Teams will be placed into groups of 4 or 6 (depending on the number of sign-ups) and will play a single or double (single if 4, double if 6 teams per group) round robin. The top-half of each group will advance to the upper bracket, whereas the bottom-half will be relegated to the lower bracket. Placement into groups will be randomized for all teams except for the top n teams (n= total number of groups), which will each be placed into separate groups (manual seeding will also likely occur for daughter-teams (i.e. Ap and Ap2; I$ and I$2). The top n teams will be determined based on past league performances/strength of their rosters.

The winner of the upper bracket (and so the winner of WL) automatically qualifies for the MKPS Final Stage tournament with the remaining teams earning CP based on their final placements within the brackets. Teams reaching the upper bracket will also be guaranteed a certain minimum of circuit points to incentivize all teams to push for a top-half finish in their group. However, teams will still have an opportunity to win a sizable amount of CP by pushing through the lower bracket.

EL Restructure:
Note: All CP values shown in these restructure figures are placeholders; all values are subject to change.

The EL restructure format can be viewed as a bit of a ‘homage’ to the old league formats. Teams will be placed into divisions of 4 or 6 teams (again, this is TBD and will be decided on the number of signups) based on the total number of CP they have accumulated with their WL placement and other side tourneys (until EL starts). The top 4 finishing teams out of the 6 teams in each division (top 3 finishing teams if we choose to implement teams of 4 in each division) will be granted CP. The higher division their division, the more they gain from a top placement. Additionally, the top 2 teams of each division will move on to the ‘gauntlet’ stage; this comprises of rounds where the top 2 teams of the lowest division play the top 2 teams of the division above them. The winners of this round will move on to play the top 2 teams of the next highest division, and so on.

Weekend/Side Tournaments

These tournaments can be setup by anyone. They will take place between WL and EL. Ideally we want to be notified ASAP about a tournament being setup. MKPS staff will be responsible for helping coordinate and setting up tournaments, as well as ensuring they run smoothly. Ideally, there will be a large number of tournaments to help compensate the league point system. We don’t want tournaments to occupy too many points where they nullify the point of the leagues, but we also want to reward teams who grind as many tournaments as possible. The more interest we can generate around this, the better. These are meant to be fast, quick tournaments that teams can play in almost on a whim. They aren’t intended to be a huge source of CP, therefore missing a few tournaments if your team can’t make it/can’t get their best 5 won’t be detrimental.

MKPS Final Stage (Name TBD)

This is the final tournament which will take place at the end of the circuit; this is the tournament that all the teams have been working towards. The teams that have gained berths through WL, EL, or CP via the former/through side tournaments will face off in a final tournament for a chance at winning a share of the prize pool. Seeding will be determined by CP, and this will act as the “playoffs” of old (specifics of this TBD).

Brief FAQ

Q: What will the bagging format be for all of this?
A: Suicide bagging will be the default format, with TNS (Troll, No Star) on mutual agreement (to read more about this format, visit this thread). Some weekend tournaments might have variation if we approve it but it's mostly gonna be suicide bagging.

Q: Will there be a prize pool?
A: Yes, that’s all that’s certain for now details-wise. There will (at least) be a cash prize for the winners of the final tournament.

Q: How will CP work with teams?
A: Each team will retain the CP they earn (it will not be on a player-to-player basis). This should encourage clan loyalty and discourage insta-teams. More details regarding roster limits/transfers are soon to come.

Q: When will all of this start?
A: We are hoping to kick off WL by February.

Q: Why are some groups being randomized for WL, isn’t that unfair?
A: Groups are randomized because determining each team’s skill level to seed them for the very first event of the circuit (especially with all the turbulent team changes we’ve seen in 2019) would be too subjective for us to be comfortable with it. MKPS is designed so that even if you are a lower division team, there will be plenty of ways to earn CP and prove yourself if you really are improving as a team and winning matches. This was difficult in the prior league system, as you were stuck in your division until next season, making progression challenging.

Q: Why was the whole league system overhauled?
A: We felt as though it was time for a change. War activity has been stagnant for a while and interest in leagues has been quite low for a while now. We also saw a ton of potential for a refreshing and revamped system with tons of improvements. All of us love this game and we want to do the competitive scene justice with a solid league infrastructure.

Q: I have a question not listed here, who should I ask?
A: We’ll just say right now the answer is probably: “we haven’t finalized it yet.” We wanted to get a broad idea of the macro of MKPS before we tackled the micro. However, we are going to meet soon and go over all the little details and other questions we left unanswered or unfinished, so what you could do is either respond to this thread with a question, suggestion, or anything you’re curious about and we’ll make sure to get to it! Please be patient if we don’t know everything right away!

Final Notes

MKPS is still looking for more staff to help facilitate this process! If you or anyone you know has interest, please send me a message on Discord at Wally#5012. There is a ton of other stuff that is changing/upgrading; this thread is just meant to be a broad overview and an introduction of the new competitive war format. Expect more details/updates in the coming weeks!
I know this is long overdue, but we wanted to make sure we put the proper time and effort into making this something special for everyone involved so we appreciate your patience with us during this time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aditya

~
MKPS Staff
Former World Cup Staff
Former CL Staff
Media Staff
Registry Staff
Supporter
Team
λρocalypse, Regicide
Wiimmfi
3613-7773-6772
Excited for what’s to come in the next couple of months! :pepe:

OP
Wally

Wally

Former WL Staff
Thread Starter #7
Who would be providing the cash prize?
At a minimum, myself and Nick are putting money forth. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a flat amount or if I'll give an incentive to the community along the lines of "For each $10 raised, I'll put in $5 myself up to $1000" or something along those lines. But obviously I would have to put a cap on how much I'm investing as I am just one person with a wedding this year that's eating a lot of finances! :]

Shawn

Media Staff
Everything sounds great so far. My only possible concern would be toward weekend tournaments giving out too much cp. It seems like it could have a similar effect of bonus points in the past, where teams could have less wins but still be ranked higher overall. I think the allure of a weekend tournaments like ITL in the past was enough of a reason to play, so giving relatively small cp gains shouldn't make them seem like a waste of time. That's just my opinion though.

Miles

deletee
Supporter
Team
Moonblast
this looks great but the gauntlet bracket clearly gives already higher division teams the unfair advantage of having less matches/opportunities to concede a win. if the format is kept like that there is less incentive for newly established teams to enter, this could potentially lead to a problem of not having enough teams to compete.

Klyne

Ellie💙✌️
Supporter
Team
Λνail
Wiimmfi
4902-2660-3458
At a minimum, myself and Nick are putting money forth. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a flat amount or if I'll give an incentive to the community along the lines of "For each $10 raised, I'll put in $5 myself up to $1000" or something along those lines. But obviously I would have to put a cap on how much I'm investing as I am just one person with a wedding this year that's eating a lot of finances! :]
Firstly, congratulations!

Secondly, have you thought about trying to get a sponsor? I'm not sure how all that works but you volunteering money into your own league sounds like a recipe for you and your wife-to-be having your honeymoon in Slough.

Thirdly, will it be CTGP only?

D

DermoOLD

So basically teams like IS are going to get rewarded for stacking their team full of overpowered players because the groups are randomised, just what like

Kiralte

Counter Culture
Supporter
Team
I$ - In$ane
Really like the idea and appreciate the effort that went into it!
Would still prefer to play the classic wiimmfi league format tho were its more like a league and not like a knock-out tournament.
We could still use the cp but implemented into classic wl.

Havin thoose side tournaments structured like a knock-out tournament and wl being the long run league thing just would make more sense in my opinion.

Miles

deletee
Supporter
Team
Moonblast
So basically teams like IS are going to get rewarded for stacking their team full of overpowered players because the groups are randomised, just what like
this is also an obvious concern, not just for the team mentioned, but for every team involved that manages to qualify, there should be some moderation regarding transfers

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Based Janegirl
Supporter
Team
Aces - «◇»
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
Would like to see the weekend tournaments portion able to test the waters with stuff we don't see often.

Some ideas could include:
  • 2 GPs so weekend tournaments move fast and don't require as much commitment
  • Voiceless (idk how this would be enforced)
  • 6v6 only
  • TNS format only (to further test it)
  • Fw Matt's idea of only having 4 shocks
  • New item table configurations when that becomes a thing
  • Bans and protects on RTs like ITL did
  • Different bagging formats per GP
  • Best of race/GP instead of total points
  • Different Thundercloud Autofire/Effect settings
  • Alternate bagging formats (trolling, no lapping)