• As the result of a recent incident in the United States, many protests have come to life because of constant racism. Please read this thread if you'd like to help and learn more!
  • Donate to keep our site running in the future. For more information, click here
  • We have recently made a lot of site changes we'd like you to know about! Find out all the information here!
  • MarioKartBoards Media Outlets: YouTube // Twitch // 2nd Twitch // Twitter // Facebook

Mario Kart Professional Series Is Here!

Joeey

Things are lookin' so far up
RL Staff
CL Staff
Supporter
Team
Turtle 7eam
Wiimmfi
3914-4250-9247
These changes look really nice, hopefully it makes things a lot more interesting in the coming months!

Shix

Team
λρocalypse | £thereal
I hope you'll work on some rules that will deal with the following:
Create a pattern when joining a room.
Track picks being more balanced.
Stalling matches, example: Team A has 4 players and team B asks to force-start, team A starts and then resets room and gets to stall for another 10-15 minutes. Only allow teams to play gp1 with the same amount of players that showed up on time!
EL needs to be CTGP only if you're going to have cash prices.

Last edited:

Connor

wars > lounge
Supporter
Team
EXO | aboo
Wiimmfi
2239-3843-9741
This all looks very exciting and has good potential, let's hope it lives up to the hype which I'm sure it will!

My team EXO always said that we wanted to play, but truthfully, scrim wars were just too boring and there was nothing on the line, leading to no excitement and simply saying it wasn't worth our time.

I'm sure the implementation of MKPS will excite and revive us as well as other older (boomer) clans, and hopefully many newer clans too in the process

Valence

MKPS Staff
Lounge Staff
Everything sounds great so far. My only possible concern would be toward weekend tournaments giving out too much cp. It seems like it could have a similar effect of bonus points in the past, where teams could have less wins but still be ranked higher overall. I think the allure of a weekend tournaments like ITL in the past was enough of a reason to play, so giving relatively small cp gains shouldn't make them seem like a waste of time. That's just my opinion though.
At the same time, we want to give a path to the MKPS final that doesn't entirely rely on playing the majors (EL and WL) since not all teams can commit to fully playing those tournaments. That said, we are well aware of this issue, an entire meeting will likely be devoted to organization and sanctioning process of smaller tournaments which will also include CP allocation.

Tea

Administrator
Administrator
MKPS Staff
CTL Staff
Media Staff
WL Staff
So basically teams like IS are going to get rewarded for stacking their team full of overpowered players because the groups are randomised, just what like
this is also an obvious concern, not just for the team mentioned, but for every team involved that manages to qualify, there should be some moderation regarding transfers
This is a good concern to have. We want teams to keep their cp to encourage stable teams, but we're also going to set up some transfer rules and roster limits to address this issue.

Articuno

Love, although it fades, it never gives up on you.
MKPS Staff
Lounge Staff
CTL Staff
Supporter
Team
EXO // EA
I'm excited to see how this plays out. You guys have been working hard on this and it's very motivating for me and my team that wars may be brought back on a regular basis. Thanks for everything you've done.

I've been thinking a lot about this and I think there are some potential improvements that could placed here. Remember, this is my opinion so it doesn't mean that it's the best option but I think some of these things should be implemented.

WL Restructure:
Note: All CP values shown in these restructure figures are placeholders; all values are subject to change.

WL will adopt a new structure in which it will behave similarly to the World Cup for football (soccer). Teams will be placed into groups of 4 or 6 (depending on the number of sign-ups) and will play a single or double (single if 4, double if 6 teams per group) round robin. The top-half of each group will advance to the upper bracket, whereas the bottom-half will be relegated to the lower bracket. Placement into groups will be randomized for all teams except for the top n teams (n= total number of groups), which will each be placed into separate groups (manual seeding will also likely occur for daughter-teams (i.e. Ap and Ap2; I$ and I$2). The top n teams will be determined based on past league performances/strength of their rosters.

The winner of the upper bracket (and so the winner of WL) automatically qualifies for the MKPS Final Stage tournament with the remaining teams earning CP based on their final placements within the brackets. Teams reaching the upper bracket will also be guaranteed a certain minimum of circuit points to incentivize all teams to push for a top-half finish in their group. However, teams will still have an opportunity to win a sizable amount of CP by pushing through the lower bracket.
For the WL Restructure section, I think a good approach (at least for the first time this is played), is to have the teams seeded based on previous seasons and their initial roster. I believe that the groups shouldn't be completely randomized from the initial top x teams being placed individually and manually into the groups. I think the better approach is to seed teams into 3 separate tiers. This having mind, is all subjected either from MKPS Staff or WL Staff. This being said, I think this is the approach:

6 Team Groups:
- Teams are seeded into one of 3 tiers (Top, Middle, Bottom) -- 1/3 teams in Top, 1/3 teams in Middle, 1/3 teams in bottom.
- Each Group will consist of 2 Top teams, 2 Middle Teams and 2 Bottom Teams.
- Teams will be randomized into each group based on the tier they are seeded in.
- Single Round Robin then placed into bracket stage.

4 Team Groups:
- Teams are seeded into one of 3 tiers (Top, Middle, Bottom) -- 1/4 teams in Top, 1/2 teams in Middle, 1/4 teams in bottom.
- Each group will consists of 1 Top Team, 2 Middle Teams and 1 Bottom Team.
- Teams will be randomized into each group based on the tier they are seeded in.
- Double Round Robin then placed into bracket stage.

I believe that this is a better approach at groups. This is the way that MKWC has done it in the passed (or at least on 8u and 8dx). This makes the groups more balanced in terms of evening the grounds cross division. This allows each group to have the same amount of tier level in each, allowing a more balanced approach where teams can still pull off upsets. This removes the factor that a group that is randomized could favour top teams in the groups or favour lower level teams in the group. Whenever you have an offset of tiered teams in a group, there are generally teams that end up in the upper bracket who will just get demolished round 1, and if there are a set of teams that end up in a group with a bunch of top tier teams, there will generally be one team that just gets dropped to lower bracket because of their extremely tough group and they end up demolishing the lower bracket because they're so much better than their competition. If this doesn't really make sense, I'll make a little chart with examples later. PM me if this doesn't make sense @ MKPS staff.

Weekend/Side Tournaments

These tournaments can be setup by anyone. They will take place between WL and EL. Ideally we want to be notified ASAP about a tournament being setup. MKPS staff will be responsible for helping coordinate and setting up tournaments, as well as ensuring they run smoothly. Ideally, there will be a large number of tournaments to help compensate the league point system. We don’t want tournaments to occupy too many points where they nullify the point of the leagues, but we also want to reward teams who grind as many tournaments as possible. The more interest we can generate around this, the better. These are meant to be fast, quick tournaments that teams can play in almost on a whim. They aren’t intended to be a huge source of CP, therefore missing a few tournaments if your team can’t make it/can’t get their best 5 won’t be detrimental.
I personally think these should be set up by MKPS Staff, or at least have a small staff group within MKPS to set up these kind of tournaments. The points are going towards the MKPS Leaderboard, so it just makes sense that they are organized by MKPS Staff. As well, whenever a larger scale tournament is organized by people who are more known, it tends to get a higher amount of players show up. If you remember the Tournaments that were set up on the forums, you'd get people like Norway running tournaments with a large scale of people, but then CookieMonster627 would get like 4 people sign up (exaggeration, but still, should get the point across). Either have them run by MKPS Staff (or a smaller group within their staff group), or have specific people who know what they're doing run them.

Q: Will there be a prize pool?
A: Yes, that’s all that’s certain for now details-wise. There will (at least) be a cash prize for the winners of the final tournament.
Try to get some sort of sponsorship from companies. It may seem farfetched, but it's the best way to get money for a tournament or a large league style event. If matches are getting streamed, having the sponsors there on stream will give people an incentive to sponsor the league or such. A bunch of other online gaming tournaments do this, and it helps them a lot. It will be hard to get companies involved in this, but it's still worth a shot.

Thank you guys for everything you've done to this point, excited to see where this leads.

Valence

MKPS Staff
Lounge Staff
For the WL Restructure section, I think a good approach (at least for the first time this is played), is to have the teams seeded based on previous seasons and their initial roster. I believe that the groups shouldn't be completely randomized from the initial top x teams being placed individually and manually into the groups. I think the better approach is to seed teams into 3 separate tiers.
As much as possible, we want to avoid seeding teams based on prior results, at least in the first few seasons of the MKPS. Right now, team strength is so volatile that at any moment a top tier team can lose a lot of strength from one or two top players not being available to play. Players can't always commit to play every match so it's unrealistic to expect them to be at maximum strength and base their seeding off of that. Subjective seeding based on roster lists is also not a good practice, it's far better for us to design a tournament that avoids this entirely.

If the MKPS takes off in the future and teams become more established, we may be able to more reliably seed top teams and split them evenly among groups to mitigate RNG. As for right now though, the structure of the WL is designed to partially mitigate bad RNG by requiring only a top half finish to reach the upper bracket while also giving a sizable CP reward for pushing through the lower bracket and reaching the final. For a group of 6, you'd have to RNG 4 D1/D2 teams into one group for it to really cause issues which is extremely unlikely.

For season 1, we may plan on seeding at least the top D1 teams that sign up and have those split, but not much more than that for now.

I personally think these should be set up by MKPS Staff, or at least have a small staff group within MKPS to set up these kind of tournaments. The points are going towards the MKPS Leaderboard, so it just makes sense that they are organized by MKPS Staff. As well, whenever a larger scale tournament is organized by people who are more known, it tends to get a higher amount of players show up. If you remember the Tournaments that were set up on the forums, you'd get people like Norway running tournaments with a large scale of people, but then CookieMonster627 would get like 4 people sign up (exaggeration, but still, should get the point across). Either have them run by MKPS Staff (or a smaller group within their staff group), or have specific people who know what they're doing run them.
A large portion of these smaller tournaments will be run by a division of the MKPS staff. In the following weeks we'll be working on the details for the sanctioning process for 3rd party tournaments. Non-MKPS tournaments that want to have their event grant CP will go through a review process before receiving approval and CP allocation, the details of which we'll release at a later time.

Dermo

MKPS Staff
RL Staff
I'm excited to see how this plays out. You guys have been working hard on this and it's very motivating for me and my team that wars may be brought back on a regular basis. Thanks for everything you've done.

I've been thinking a lot about this and I think there are some potential improvements that could placed here. Remember, this is my opinion so it doesn't mean that it's the best option but I think some of these things should be implemented.

For the WL Restructure section, I think a good approach (at least for the first time this is played), is to have the teams seeded based on previous seasons and their initial roster. I believe that the groups shouldn't be completely randomized from the initial top x teams being placed individually and manually into the groups. I think the better approach is to seed teams into 3 separate tiers. This having mind, is all subjected either from MKPS Staff or WL Staff. This being said, I think this is the approach:

6 Team Groups:
- Teams are seeded into one of 3 tiers (Top, Middle, Bottom) -- 1/3 teams in Top, 1/3 teams in Middle, 1/3 teams in bottom.
- Each Group will consist of 2 Top teams, 2 Middle Teams and 2 Bottom Teams.
- Single Round Robin then placed into bracket stage.

4 Team Groups:
- Teams are seeded into one of 3 tiers (Top, Middle, Bottom) -- 1/4 teams in Top, 1/2 teams in Middle, 1/4 teams in bottom.
- Each group will consists of 1 Top Team, 2 Middle Teams and 1 Bottom Team.
- Double Round Robin then placed into bracket stage.

I believe that this is a better approach at groups. This is the way that MKWC has done it in the passed (or at least on 8u and 8dx). This makes the groups more balanced in terms of evening the grounds cross division. This allows each group to have the same amount of tier level in each, allowing a more balanced approach where teams can still pull off upsets. This removes the factor that a group that is randomized could favour top teams in the groups or favour lower level teams in the group. Whenever you have an offset of tiered teams in a group, there are generally teams that end up in the upper bracket who will just get demolished round 1, and if there are a set of teams that end up in a group with a bunch of top tier teams, there will generally be one team that just gets dropped to lower bracket because of their extremely tough group and they end up demolishing the lower bracket because they're so much better than their competition. If this doesn't really make sense, I'll make a little chart with examples later. PM me if this doesn't make sense @ MKPS staff.

Try to get some sort of sponsorship from companies. It may seem farfetched, but it's the best way to get money for a tournament or a large league style event. If matches are getting streamed, having the sponsors there on stream will give people an incentive to sponsor the league or such. A bunch of other online gaming tournaments do this, and it helps them a lot. It will be hard to get companies involved in this, but it's still worth a shot.

Thank you guys for everything you've done to this point, excited to see where this leads.
I think if you make divisions based on top teams middle teams and bottom teams it becomes predictable and linear, if the divisions are randomised literally anything could happen which could be the most exciting part about it

thunder1721

Media Staff
Team
Daragh/Knife
Wiimmfi
3012-4792-6004
If we make CTGP only rules can we be able to play with cts off cuz Ik some people prefer color lines over white line and u can’t cheat with cts off at all, it just makes the game look like vanilla with all 8 cups on one screen, white and blue color patterns, battle, etc.

~Maidvelia❤︎~

Achieving goals from the sidelines
Supporter
Team
[U]ltra [H]igh [D]ynamic [R]ange [7]
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
If we make CTGP only rules can we be able to play with cts off cuz Ik some people prefer color lines over white line and u can’t cheat with cts off at all, it just makes the game look like vanilla with all 8 cups on one screen, white and blue color patterns, battle, etc.
You need white for room encryption until Bean makes it work with CTs turned off.

Process

MKPS Staff
Lounge Staff
Team
Longshlongs
To add on to what KD said, room encryption (i believe) prevents stuff like item spy or fake CTGP clones that can load cheats from joining the room.

Really impressed with this writeup from the MKPS staff. It's nice to see a breath of fresh air after almost 12 years of the double round-robin format. It also gives an incentive to work towards being the best team, not transferring out all your good players so you can be crowned the 25th best team in WL/EL. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Thunder

At a minimum, myself and Nick are putting money forth. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a flat amount or if I'll give an incentive to the community along the lines of "For each $10 raised, I'll put in $5 myself up to $1000" or something along those lines. But obviously I would have to put a cap on how much I'm investing as I am just one person with a wedding this year that's eating a lot of finances! :]
I love that there’s monetary winnings for these tournaments and leagues now, I remember the poverty days when if you won you just got a nice banner to put on your signature haha. It’s neat seeing the scene grow so much.