• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

please get your fucking act together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team
GAMT
The community is slowly dying, the numbers of players lost from this point 1 year ago is massive. It is disguised by WL still having a similar amount of teams however half of these teams are not active outside of WL and 85% of the community seems to play WL - something that never used to be the case. The community in general is pretty toxic (including myself ofc), lounge is unbelievably toxic which is the only good thing about it as the drama is entertaining .

Lounge has caused a downward spiral in terms of activity in clans. Seems like half the people who play in lounge would rather war however their clan can't get 5 so they just say can in lounge. It means that teams don't form LUs as much meaning there are less wars. If it takes 1h to find a war u are less motivated to try to war so u just lounge.

At weekends there is a bit more activity in terms of wars but in the week only these clans are active:
GAMT, GUN, BA, EU, I$, Kl
Theres a couple of others who war sometimes but these seem to be the main ones.
If anyone wants a 5v5 trolling between 6pm UK and 12am UK then just pm me!

Half the community is really toxic and lounge is the perfect place for them, the other half have other things to be doing and play casually a few times a week. Neither group would really care about trying to set up new tournaments etc. That being said after 10 years it feels like there aren't many more ideas really without new game modes being created, everything has been tried and either worked or failed.

Personally I only play because of the people i play with. I have no interest in anything outside of warring for GAMT.

Jake

Supporter
Irrelevant former player here.

I've always felt it's the attitudes of the players who make or break this community. An attitude that has stood the test of time has been toxicity and poor demeanor towards new players. You have had maybe ~15 people in this community who have TRULY tried to put in the effort to make this place better but the same old attitude-infested players ruin the experience for everyone. I'd rather have a smaller group of committed, friendly players, than a large group that takes a dump on everything because they either think they're hot shit or they rage at the game.

A good place to start would be to alienate those players who are toxic or just shitty human beings, like Divide/cam.

PhoenixRiku

Supporter
The community is slowly dying, the numbers of players lost from this point 1 year ago is massive. It is disguised by WL still having a similar amount of teams however half of these teams are not active outside of WL and 85% of the community seems to play WL - something that never used to be the case. The community in general is pretty toxic (including myself ofc), lounge is unbelievably toxic which is the only good thing about it as the drama is entertaining .

Lounge has caused a downward spiral in terms of activity in clans. Seems like half the people who play in lounge would rather war however their clan can't get 5 so they just say can in lounge. It means that teams don't form LUs as much meaning there are less wars. If it takes 1h to find a war u are less motivated to try to war so u just lounge.

At weekends there is a bit more activity in terms of wars but in the week only these clans are active:
If anyone wants a 5v5 trolling between 6pm UK and 12am UK then just pm me!

Half the community is really toxic and lounge is the perfect place for them, the other half have other things to be doing and play casually a few times a week. Neither group would really care about trying to set up new tournaments etc. That being said after 10 years it feels like there aren't many more ideas really without new game modes being created, everything has been tried and either worked or failed.

Personally I only play because of the people i play with. I have no interest in anything outside of warring for GAMT.
I agree with a lot of what you said except the part about "everything has been tried".

This community is extremely anti-change. WCL, IL, WL, EL all are basically the same thing with minor tweaks. The FFA/Mogi tournament opening post is just copy pasted for years because nothing changes. In terms of community platform, you still rely on a forum communication in almost 2019, you still think alting is the end of the world, one "brilliant" solution was to even go back in time and bring forum blogs back. From the use of the media channel there has been no attempt to grow the community (or at least they don't know how if what they do now actually is an attempt). The community clearly the way it operates has just resigned itself to a eventual slow death, thats just the path they have chosen based on their actions.

The issue isn't "everything has been tried", its actually the opposite this community is great at polishing the same turd to make it look slightly different.

Added reference I was one of the people that was playing during WCL Season 1, I stopped playing the game in 2012, I decided to play some Mario Kart again at start of 2017. The only things that had changed were Discord instead of Skype (not a consequence of this community), lot more CTs and they were played more frequently (partial consequence of this community), and other than that pretty much everything was about the same as when I had left.

Last edited:

Goomba

some call me a legend
Supporter
Team
Qnt, & MB
Practical resources for newcomers -- media instead of 10 page guides if necessary. There aren't any FAQs being answered about networking settings, how to fix certain error codes, how to do basic modding, and how to do basic techs in the game we all take for granted, etc. The lack of resources makes newcomers have to find someone actually willing to show them the ropes of how to set things up, how to act in the community, and how to play the game. We are already not very open to new members and we just make it worse by not having resources.

More players who have capture cards utilizing constructive and informative content creation instead of just archives of gameplay or content that is purely for entertainment (Zak Louks is attempting to make a video series of how to play, he has been creating scripts for it). Despite Zak's initiative, it honestly baffles me how there are no good video guides out there with how old this game is, and how many players have picked it up (or those video guides became privated).
As someone with a working capture card, I would be happy to take an attempt at making some beginner guides. Are there any specific ideas for what is needed the most? (gameplay / teamplay)

~Maidvelia~

Every day I'll fight to be Legendary
Administrator
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
U★, HD☆
NNID
Maidvelia
Switch
4185-3145-7717
Wiimmfi
4297-4674-3102
As someone with a working capture card, I would be happy to take an attempt at making some beginner guides. Are there any specific ideas for what is needed the most? (gameplay / teamplay)
Zak will mainly be focusing on individual play and driving tech. He has never played wars, so teamplay and how wars are played differently from mogi / FFA would be ideal to cover.

Goomba

some call me a legend
Supporter
Team
Qnt, & MB
Zak will mainly be focusing on individual play and driving tech. He has never played wars, so teamplay and how wars are played differently from mogi / FFA would be ideal to cover.
Alright. I'll try to make something this weekend, if it turns out good I'll be sure to upload it. First time doing something like this though so no promises.

Jadid

EL Staff
Team
Team APE
Wiimmfi
1636-6281-5841
Warring same clans with same ruleset everytime that you play it's boring (a lot), and i rather not play
Nobody knows where are other "WL groups" that plays in it

Status
Not open for further replies.