• As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • Embrace The Change is a LAN tournament intending to be located in Cambridge, England. It will have a focus on MK8DX but also an MKWii setup. Interested? Find out more here!
  • Exalt is a Mario Kart Wii themed LAN Tournament to be hosted in New York, USA. Interested in coming along? Find out all the information here!

So why did you make a new site again?

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

In A Nutshell
Supporter
Team
Play It Loud!
Switch
0022-0027-5937
This is what I was greeted with when I tried accessing the old site this morning:

Look, I understand there are financial issues, but it would have been nice if you told us that the old domain wasn’t going to be renewed. Say goodbye to another six years worth of forum posts. Basically nothing from 2008 to 2018 has been preserved. Ten years worth of history… gone. Future Mario Kart players will wonder what happened during those years, and we have nothing to show for it other than a few .jpgs of war tables that lack context. What a joke of a community this has turned out to be.

The loss of mariokartwii.com was a devastating blow that the community will never, ever recover from. Thinking about it literally makes me want to cry. All of those posts, all of those clan wars... none of it mattered. As much as I hate to admit it sometimes, I will always have a spot in my heart for the Mario Kart community because it had a huge influence on me during my teenage years. It was a formative experience, and I will never forget it as long as I live. You can downplay the importance of preserving our history all you want, but to do so would be disrespectful to all of you—each and every person who has played a role in shaping not just my life, but the lives of everybody here. A community with a disposable history is a disposable community.

JoshL

the coolest josh
Team
Dolphin Dashers
Wiimmfi
4386-8695-1301
This is what I was greeted with when I tried accessing the old site this morning:

Look, I understand there are financial issues, but it would have been nice if you told us that the old domain wasn’t going to be renewed. Say goodbye to another six years worth of forum posts. Basically nothing from 2008 to 2018 has been preserved. Ten years worth of history… gone. Future Mario Kart players will wonder what happened during those years, and we have nothing to show for it other than a few .jpgs of war tables that lack context. What a joke of a community this has turned out to be.

The loss of mariokartwii.com was a devastating blow that the community will never, ever recover from. Thinking about it literally makes me want to cry. All of those posts, all of those clan wars... none of it mattered. As much as I hate to admit it sometimes, I will always have a spot in my heart for the Mario Kart community because it had a huge influence on me during my teenage years. It was a formative experience, and I will never forget it as long as I live. You can downplay the importance of preserving our history all you want, but to do so would be disrespectful to all of you—each and every person who has played a role in shaping not just my life, but the lives of everybody here. A community with a disposable history is a disposable community.
On behalf of the MKB team, I'd like to apologise for the lack of warning before the site was removed. As you know, it had to be taken down at some point due to the fact that the cost of running both sites simultaneously is simply too high at this moment in time. We intended to make everyone aware of the situation beforehand, however, the removal of the site came with extremely short notice as we had much less time left than we initially thought.

Please rest assured that all of the site's data has been backed up, so it is not gone forever.

While I'm not in a position to make any promises, I can say that there's definitely a good possibility that you will be able to have access to the data again in the future. The staff are currently discussing the possible options as I write this. We do not intend to just throw away your data, without a hint of remorse, under any circumstances.

I'm sorry for the disappointment that the removal of access to the old site has caused you and all other players. Thank you for expressing your concerns, we will definitely keep them in mind as we determine the next best course of action.