• Mario Kart 7 is back on Mario Kart Boards! Read more about it here!
  • As of 17th December 2018, MarioKartBoards Staff have been in communication with Lounge Staff to enable any alting within a lounge environment to result in an indefinite site ban.
  • The Lounge section is now open! With Season 3 starting, there's a dedicated site area here for more info!
  • The war arrangement bot for Discord has been released! Check this thread for more details!
  • Media Team is undergoing a significant amount of changes. Please read this thread for more information.

spicing up MKW

Savannah

Thunder & Lightning
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
Explorers of Time
MKW is 11 years old. There's been ongoing discussion about how MKW is boring, stale, whatever in terms of its competitive aspect. I love playing this game with friends, but after playing it for maybe 7 years competitively, and playing double-round robin over and over, it's getting repetitive and boring for me personally. I know others share the same opinion as well, and I'm looking to understand where everyone's interest lies.

I have created a 5-minute survey (maybe longer depending on how much you have to say) for everyone to complete. The answers are not public, and it doesn't ask you for your name unless you want to give it at the very end. Anyone can do it, how much interest in the game you have doesn't matter. you don't even have to play this game to take it.

A summary of this survey will be posted on this thread after a week. Any personal info it asks from you (Country, Discord ID which is optional) won't be posted. Individual forms won't be posted.

I hope that we can produce results and positive changes from this survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...tODNwyCAdnrU2wZmll7CuT7Q/viewform?usp=sf_link

OP
Savannah

Savannah

Thunder & Lightning
WL Staff
Supporter
Team
Explorers of Time
Thread Starter #4
126 respondents
57.9% of respondents are from North and South America.
34.9% of respondents are from Europe.
5.5% of respondents are from Australia and Asia.
1.7% of respondents did not disclose.

71% of respondents from Australia and Asia have never registered for WL. However, this region holds the most interest in Mogi Lounge, topping other regions at an average of 8.2 out of 10.

The Americas and Europe have similar levels of interest in WL with averages of 5.9 and 5.6 respectively, and have the same level of interest in MKW, averaging at 7.1. However, the regions have different levels of interest in Lounge, with Europe averaging at 5.0 and the Americas showing a higher level of interest at an average of 6.0.

Interest in MKW LANs by Country (x out of 10)
  • Germany – Avg. 8.1, 9 respondents
  • USA – Avg 7.8, 57 respondents
  • The Netherlands – Avg. 7.3, 3 respondents
  • UK & Ireland – Avg. 6.3, 18 respondents
  • Canada – Avg. 5.7, 13 respondents
  • South America – Avg. 3.3, 3 respondents
  • Italy – Avg. 2.1, 5 respondents
100% of Germans surveyed would donate to help fund a LAN.

89.4% of those who live in the United States would donate to help fund a LAN.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10.3% of respondents have been in the community for under a year.
22.2% of respondents have been in the community for 1-2 years.
14.3% of respondents have been in the community for 3-4 years.
6.4% of respondents have been in the community for 4-5 years.
35.7% of respondents have been in the community for more than 6 years.
11.1% of respondents have been in the community since the beginning.

76.9% of respondents who have been in the community for less than a year have never registered for WL.

The percentage lowers once players hit their 1 year anniversary of being in the community – 28% of respondents who have been in the community for 1-2 years have never played WL. However, the percentage does not lower further than 20% for any of the groups – every group with 3 to 11 years of experience has at least 20% in their group who have never registered for WL.

In the table shown above, respondents answered how much interest they have in MKW, WL, and Lounge on a scale of 1 to 10. They also answered if they agree or disagree on the competitive aspect of MKW being stale, with 1 being strongly disagree and 10 being strongly agree. The numbers shown above are averages.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please remember that the data above is a sample – while it can represent the entire community’s thoughts, there are bound to be demographic misrepresentations, as with any survey. However, even with that being said, samples are great to start with when it comes to satisfying or gauging interest with certain demographics.

Take what you will from the above results. I personally found it interesting that all years of experience in the community are all close to neutral if not neutral when it comes to their interest in WL. I was expecting a steady decline as the years of experience rose, but I was wrong. Germans have a very high interest in LANs and all of them that were surveyed are willing to help fund it. We should look into having more LANs in Germany :eyes:

Improvements suggested for Wiimmfi League:
  • A fair amount of people mentioned conferences should not return, especially for 8 team divisions
  • Room joining time needs to be enforced, and a way to stop teams stalling needs to be created (can’t use reset race 1, or something of the sort)
  • Some mentioned removing default time
  • One suggested scrapping divisions entirely and playing pools instead
  • The largest and loudest complaint is that people need something different to play and WL should remain less frequently.

Improvements suggested for Lounge:
  • 10 people mentioned that the rankings should change, mainly because there is a clear split in some tiers. Most comments were concerning both RT Bronze and CT Bronze – if you are to look at the results, you’ll notice there is a high amount of players who consistently score low. Suggested fixes:
    • New rank Stone, below Bronze. 0-1000 MMR. The idea is to settle the split in Bronze. Some mentioned that the Bronze split is worse in CT lounge than RTs and needs to be fixed urgently.
    • New rank Emerald, between Diamond and Master. The idea is to place ranks below on a higher skillset and offer a more balanced ranking system.
    • Place tiers on ranks, so have Silver 1, Silver 2, etc.
  • 8 people mentioned BCWii should be unbanned and glitch should be penalized if anyone were to use it.
  • 7 people mentioned the way teams work is unfair when it comes to MMR. You can play well, score well, be anchored by your teammate(s) and lose MMR. On the reverse side, you can also score low but be carried up to a rank by teammates. Suggested fixes:
    • There should be reduced MMR for the low scoring player and an increase in MMR for the higher scoring player – so base it on individual points beyond a certain threshold.
    • “4 or More” rule. Make MMR scoring in team events based off what you score individually if a condition is met: there is a difference of 4 or more placements between a player and their teammate(s). If a player places 2nd with a total of 96, but their teammate scores 40 and is placed 11th, the “4 or More” rule would come in play since there is a difference of 4 or more placements, in this case there is a difference of 9 placements (2->11).
  • 4 people mentioned that the way initial placements work needs to change. Staff bias is not enough – instead, a concrete tool for placements should be created, with suggestions made such as 1) a likert scale, 2) new players playing a series of mock events to determine how they’re placed, or 3) everyone starting off at bronze.
  • There were a few mentions on how some events can take too long to start and to play due to players taking too long to join the room or disconnections. The main issue is that people only have a certain amount of time to play the game. It’s great that the player taking too long to join the room is given a penalty, but the other players should not be given a penalty if they can no longer finish the event and drop due to issues with the room. If an event has taken more than 30 minutes to start (as an example), other players should be able to drop without being penalized.
  • Lap-trolling should receive a harsher punishment, such as 5 day mute for example.

Tournament suggestions:
  • A tournament similar to CS:GO’s Majors and Minors league
  • Pay-to-enter tournaments with prizes (entry fees would fund the prizes)
  • Placement matches
  • Various combo FFAs
  • Knock-out tournaments, like the one-offs back in Skype days
  • Shockless tournaments (FFAs and Teams)
  • Double elimination weekend tournaments
  • So many more ideas that aren’t presented here but WILL be reviewed

It took me a pretty long time to write all of this up into a summary for the community. It’s currently 8pm here and I would love to get this information out and about to the community already. Rest assured, absolutely EVERY single idea will be reviewed and discussed in a server I’m making. The goal of this discussion server will be to review every single idea expressed on the survey, turn some into more concrete of ideas, and present the community with positive changes. You’ll see another post from me in a week’s time from now, presenting you guys with some changes to happen and/or changes being discussed.

Some people said on the survey that I can’t save MKW’s competitive scene. To be honest with you, that isn’t my goal. I’m getting busier and busier with things in the real world and other games that are more interesting to me at the moment. The time I have for MKW will eventually be next to nothing. All I wish for is to enjoy MKW while I have the freetime and while my friends have the freetime. I don’t want to stop playing MKW on a sour note. With that being said, it’s a desired byproduct if these changes I want to make become sustainable, but again, I’m not reaching for the sky.

Aditya~

EL Staff
Registry Staff
Media Staff
Team
λρocalypse, Regicide
Wiimmfi
0861-6009-1404
126 respondents
57.9% of respondents are from North and South America.
34.9% of respondents are from Europe.
5.5% of respondents are from Australia and Asia.
1.7% of respondents did not disclose.

71% of respondents from Australia and Asia have never registered for WL. However, this region holds the most interest in Mogi Lounge, topping other regions at an average of 8.2 out of 10.

The Americas and Europe have similar levels of interest in WL with averages of 5.9 and 5.6 respectively, and have the same level of interest in MKW, averaging at 7.1. However, the regions have different levels of interest in Lounge, with Europe averaging at 5.0 and the Americas showing a higher level of interest at an average of 6.0.

Interest in MKW LANs by Country (x out of 10)
  • Germany – Avg. 8.1, 9 respondents
  • USA – Avg 7.8, 57 respondents
  • The Netherlands – Avg. 7.3, 3 respondents
  • UK & Ireland – Avg. 6.3, 18 respondents
  • Canada – Avg. 5.7, 13 respondents
  • South America – Avg. 3.3, 3 respondents
  • Italy – Avg. 2.1, 5 respondents
100% of Germans surveyed would donate to help fund a LAN.

89.4% of those who live in the United States would donate to help fund a LAN.

10.3% of respondents have been in the community for under a year.
22.2% of respondents have been in the community for 1-2 years.
14.3% of respondents have been in the community for 3-4 years.
6.4% of respondents have been in the community for 4-5 years.
35.7% of respondents have been in the community for more than 6 years.
11.1% of respondents have been in the community since the beginning.

76.9% of respondents who have been in the community for less than a year have never registered for WL.

The percentage lowers once players hit their 1 year anniversary of being in the community – 28% of respondents who have been in the community for 1-2 years have never played WL. However, the percentage does not lower further than 20% for any of the groups – every group with 3 to 11 years of experience has at least 20% in their group who have never registered for WL.

In the table shown above, respondents answered how much interest they have in MKW, WL, and Lounge on a scale of 1 to 10. They also answered if they agree or disagree on the competitive aspect of MKW being stale, with 1 being strongly disagree and 10 being strongly agree. The numbers shown above are averages.

Please remember that the data above is a sample – while it can represent the entire community’s thoughts, there are bound to be demographic misrepresentations, as with any survey. However, even with that being said, samples are great to start with when it comes to satisfying or gauging interest with certain demographics.

Take what you will from the above results. I personally found it interesting that all years of experience in the community are all close to neutral if not neutral when it comes to their interest in WL. I was expecting a steady decline as the years of experience rose, but I was wrong. Germans have a very high interest in LANs and all of them that were surveyed are willing to help fund it. We should look into having more LANs in Germany :eyes:

Improvements suggested for Wiimmfi League:
  • A fair amount of people mentioned conferences should not return, especially for 8 team divisions
  • Room joining time needs to be enforced, and a way to stop teams stalling needs to be created (can’t use reset race 1, or something of the sort)
  • Some mentioned removing default time
  • One suggested scrapping divisions entirely and playing pools instead
  • The largest and loudest complaint is that people need something different to play and WL should remain less frequently.

Improvements suggested for Lounge:
  • 10 people mentioned that the rankings should change, mainly because there is a clear split in some tiers. Most comments were concerning both RT Bronze and CT Bronze – if you are to look at the results, you’ll notice there is a high amount of players who consistently score low. Suggested fixes:
    • New rank Stone, below Bronze. 0-1000 MMR. The idea is to settle the split in Bronze. Some mentioned that the Bronze split is worse in CT lounge than RTs and needs to be fixed urgently.
    • New rank Emerald, between Diamond and Master. The idea is to place ranks below on a higher skillset and offer a more balanced ranking system.
    • Place tiers on ranks, so have Silver 1, Silver 2, etc.
  • 8 people mentioned BCWii should be unbanned and glitch should be penalized if anyone were to use it.
  • 7 people mentioned the way teams work is unfair when it comes to MMR. You can play well, score well, be anchored by your teammate(s) and lose MMR. On the reverse side, you can also score low but be carried up to a rank by teammates. Suggested fixes:
    • There should be reduced MMR for the low scoring player and an increase in MMR for the higher scoring player – so base it on individual points beyond a certain threshold.
    • “4 or More” rule. Make MMR scoring in team events based off what you score individually if a condition is met: there is a difference of 4 or more placements between a player and their teammate(s). If a player places 2nd with a total of 96, but their teammate scores 40 and is placed 11th, the “4 or More” rule would come in play since there is a difference of 4 or more placements, in this case there is a difference of 9 placements (2->11).
  • 4 people mentioned that the way initial placements work needs to change. Staff bias is not enough – instead, a concrete tool for placements should be created, with suggestions made such as 1) a likert scale, 2) new players playing a series of mock events to determine how they’re placed, or 3) everyone starting off at bronze.
  • There were a few mentions on how some events can take too long to start and to play due to players taking too long to join the room or disconnections. The main issue is that people only have a certain amount of time to play the game. It’s great that the player taking too long to join the room is given a penalty, but the other players should not be given a penalty if they can no longer finish the event and drop due to issues with the room. If an event has taken more than 30 minutes to start (as an example), other players should be able to drop without being penalized.
  • Lap-trolling should receive a harsher punishment, such as 5 day mute for example.

Tournament suggestions:
  • A tournament similar to CS:GO’s Majors and Minors league
  • Pay-to-enter tournaments with prizes (entry fees would fund the prizes)
  • Placement matches
  • Various combo FFAs
  • Knock-out tournaments, like the one-offs back in Skype days
  • Shockless tournaments (FFAs and Teams)
  • Double elimination weekend tournaments
  • So many more ideas that aren’t presented here but WILL be reviewed

It took me a pretty long time to write all of this up into a summary for the community. It’s currently 8pm here and I would love to get this information out and about to the community already. Rest assured, absolutely EVERY single idea will be reviewed and discussed in a server I’m making. The goal of this discussion server will be to review every single idea expressed on the survey, turn some into more concrete of ideas, and present the community with positive changes. You’ll see another post from me in a week’s time from now, presenting you guys with some changes to happen and/or changes being discussed.

Some people said on the survey that I can’t save MKW’s competitive scene. To be honest with you, that isn’t my goal. I’m getting busier and busier with things in the real world and other games that are more interesting to me at the moment. The time I have for MKW will eventually be next to nothing. All I wish for is to enjoy MKW while I have the freetime and while my friends have the freetime. I don’t want to stop playing MKW on a sour note. With that being said, it’s a desired byproduct if these changes I want to make become sustainable, but again, I’m not reaching for the sky.
ty for all your efforts!