• Our next site-ran tournament, a Holiday 2v2 FFA for Mario Kart Wii, is now open for signups! Please see this thread for more information.

Viraith's Graphics

Viraith

WL Staff
EL Staff
I had a thread over on the old site. Anyway, I'm a Junior in college with an AAS in Graphic & Media Design currently working on my Bachelor's Degree. I was the head Graphic Design Manager for Mario Kart Cinema and am a member of the WL GFX Team (although I haven't made anything for them... yet). If you're interested in the field or have any questions in general feel free to post here as I have a fair amount of experience.

In preparation for my Spring 2019 portfolio send-off I've been working on finalizing a few mascot logos which is all I am going to include for now (check out the link to my old thread for WL logos, MKC work, banners, etc). Also a quick note that the Enigma logo posted here is my most recent work; I wanted to create a new and improved version for my portfolio. The logo on the bottom right of each presentation image is indeed my branding logo (for those who know my full name).

I'll include my Behance and Instagram profile here at some point, but for now, enjoy!​

aidan2k

Hey man, I'm going to specialize in machine learning but I'd love to do some productive design on the side. Do you have any recommendations for online resources to play around with in my free time? Thanks!

OP
OP
Viraith

Viraith

WL Staff
EL Staff
Hey man, I'm going to specialize in machine learning but I'd love to do some productive design on the side. Do you have any recommendations for online resources to play around with in my free time? Thanks!
That's awesome. Honestly, apart from simply playing around in the software, YouTube videos were the way I learned the most. I recommend SesOHQ, he has a lot of basic Photoshop tutorials and even releases font packages. The most important skills to master in Photoshop are:

1. Selections
2. Brushes
3. Masks

Illustrator is a very easy program to learn, you should have no problem with that. Other softwares such as Ae, Pr, Xd, Id, etc. are great to learn as well, especially After Effects (Ae). My advice is to be patient and repetition is your greatest friend.

Photoshop or Illustrator?
Assuming you're asking specifically about the mascot logos, then both. I create the logo in Illustrator then bring it into Photoshop for the presentation image as well as a few finishing touches.

simo

EL Staff
Team
Tossicodipendenti
Wiimmfi
4472-7682-6881
That's awesome. Honestly, apart from simply playing around in the software, YouTube videos were the way I learned the most. I recommend SesOHQ, he has a lot of basic Photoshop tutorials and even releases font packages. The most important skills to master in Photoshop are:

1. Selections
2. Brushes
3. Masks

Illustrator is a very easy program to learn, you should have no problem with that. Other softwares such as Ae, Pr, Xd, Id, etc. are great to learn as well, especially After Effects (Ae). My advice is to be patient and repetition is your greatest friend.

Assuming you're asking specifically about the mascot logos, then both. I create the logo in Illustrator then bring it into Photoshop for the presentation image as well as a few finishing touches.
Thank you so much for the response.
You know, being a graphic designer myself I always wonder what other designers use as programs... and yeah, I know it may seems a little bit weird but Photoshop and Illustrator are not always the obvious ways to proceed by... like, I've met and seen many designers who work on programs like Paint.net or stuff like that.
Also, about that folded sheet layout you've used to expose the logos: did you create it or is it one of those mocks you can find on the Internet? Either way, it honestly looks awesome.

OP
OP
Viraith

Viraith

WL Staff
EL Staff
Thank you so much for the response.
You know, being a graphic designer myself I always wonder what other designers use as programs... and yeah, I know it may seems a little bit weird but Photoshop and Illustrator are not always the obvious ways to proceed by... like, I've met and seen many designers who work on programs like Paint.net or stuff like that.
Also, about that folded sheet layout you've used to expose the logos: did you create it or is it one of those mocks you can find on the Internet? Either way, it honestly looks awesome.
I've seen some pretty awesome work produced by those who use software other than Adobe CC, but it is the standard in the field nonetheless. Recreational work can be produced with other programs, but I firmly believed that you'd struggle finding any real work without the Adobe software with the exception of the occasional freelance gig. When applying for any creative job employers will ask specifically for experience using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, etc. with the addition of a degree (all media arts programs teach their students to use Adobe CC anyway).

I designed the page bend myself, it's just a shape with a gradient and drop shadow. Thank you, I appreciate it!